Build your own wood terrace How to build a wood terrace
Instruction: How to build a wood terrace
1. Step: Preparation of the subsoil
Dig out the soil (about 20 cm) for the planned patio space. If there are bigger irragularities of thickness, you need to fill them for example with recycling ground and densify via vibratory plate. After the ground is prepared, you need to spread out root tiles, and even better on top a gravel layer about 10 cm. to prevent the growing of weeds. To equaly spread the gravel you can use a rough ion rake. To straighten the surface you can use a straightedge. The best way is to lay the straightedge on two ion pipes as guidance in the gravel, which makes this work step easier.
As soon the underground is prepared you can mark the actual construction hight of the patio with a cord. The cord will be tightened along the longitudinal edges of the patio. Now you use old walkway tiles as substructure, so that the wood underconstruction won´t sit in the wet and will be able to dry. Always consider that a good planning and preparation will lead to a better result.
2. Step: Place the square timbers
The substructure consists of square timbers, which should have the demensions 90 X 90 mm or similar. Maks sure that you use impregnated square timbers and a certain weather resistance exists. The timbers should be arranges with a distance of 50- 60 cm to eachother. It makes sense to also frontal connect a timber beam to avoid that the square timbers get out of place.After you finished the substructure you should double check it´s accurate position (with a level), because now it´s still possible to correct! Latestly now you should also think about if you want to lay any wires under the patio. With that you could for example place small lamps in the corners of the patio. A special light effect you could obtain if you sink in spots in the floorboards.
3. Step: Place the floor boards
The placement of the first floorboard is essential for the accuracy grade of the whole patio. For that reason that one has to be placee with a maximum on accuracy. You should work with the foot rule, angle and guideline, to ensure the fixation in the right angle to the substructure for a perfect result. Yor have to start at the house side with the first board, otherwise the last board might not fit. To fix floorboards to the substructure use a holdfast and after a check, screw them on with two stainless- steel screws per timber beam. The screw connection of the board should be done with special terrace screws. If you build the patio near the coast you should use high quality steel V4A screws. We recommend to pre- drill and countersink to ensure a perfect fit for the patio screws. Tip: If you also connect a floor board at the end pf the pation with an exact position, you can frontal connect the first and last board with a guideline. This will make the constant process of arraging the boards easier. Now you can fasten board by board. Between the boards you should keep a space of 4-5 mm, which you easily meet with the SPAX tile cross. If a floor board is not straight you can straighten it with the SPAX board straightener before you screw it on. If the spacing is not accurate, it could cause problems with the garden furniture (when you push them) or if spaces are to wide objects, which fall down might fall between the floorboards.
4. Step: Closing operations
After all planks are screwed on, you have to check the lateral lenght and cut them to a uniform lenght. The best way to do that is with a plung saw or jigsaw. It is easier if you guide the saw with a guide rail. The cut edge of the floor boards can be smoothed with fine sandpaper and coated with a caring oil. With this you can avoid sharp rims and prevent that the boards become saturated with water.
Tips to build a patio.
- The subconstruction should be made from the same wood as the decking boards.
- You can put the suconstruction on post bases or on H- post bases if the subsoil is unfavourable, for example at a slope. The products needed you can find in our category Wood joints.
- Put a hard rubber pad between the squared timber and the walkway tiles. This ensures that there wont be water between the concrete and the wood, which would destroy the would. For this you can use SPAX PADS. You can also find them in our online shop.
- If you need to bevel decking boards use a mitre saw. With that you can achieve a precise cutting result and a steady angle.
- Put periodically special wood preserver oils on your patio (about every 2- 3 years), to avoid that the wood becomes blunt or gray.
- Use this kinds of wood: Bankirai, Douglas fir, Robinia, or local conifers (very hard and weatherproof)
- Already while planning the garden you should consider the patio. Since the planning of the garden is already a cmprehensive subject the patio planning can be tricky. With the garden landscaping you want to archive that the garden perfectly fits to your home. It's the same with the patio. That's why you have to consider what kind of garden furniture you would like on your patio, do you want an arwning or only blinds? What kind of blind do I want? Do I use a marquee for this? Do I have to do any electrical installation? Do I use patio boards or floor tiles? How do I light up the patio?
- It makes sense to ask a Garden planner or to research for different construction manuals. You can find a lot of input from media fot this subject.
With the tips there is nothing in the way between you and your beautiful patio. After the work you are able to enjoy and relax many years on your wood patio.
Checklist for the patio construction
Materials you need to build a patio
- Floor boards for the patio
- Square timbers for the substructure
- Terrace screws
- Gravel, Recycling ground
- Ground tiles or old walkway tiles
- Portable circular saw or Jigsaw
- Cordless screwdriver
- Folding ruler/pencil
- Vibratory plate (local constuction machine rental)
- SPAX Tile spacer
- SPAX Workmanship set
- SPAX Step drill
Video instruction for the patio construction
Where to find the materials
All you need for fastening you can get from us. If you miss any products- please don't hesistate to ask for information.